The New York Tax Department now issues income tax refunds in the form of prepaid debit cards.
- Debit cards are a more flexible alternative to paper check refunds.
- You can select the debit card when you file your income tax return.
New York State, through Bank of America, will provide you with a MasterCard-branded debit card.
- The balance on the card will be the amount of your income tax refund.
- The card is valid for eighteen months from the date of issue.
- The debit card gives you access to your refund 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- No more check-cashing fees – in most cases, you won’t pay a fee for using your card.
- Use your card to make purchases everywhere Debit MasterCard is accepted – stores, online, or over the phone.
- Get access to cash at ATMs, point of sale* terminals, and at MasterCard banks.
- Use your card to pay bills – in person or online.
- Improves control over money – take only what you need, when you need it.
- If you have questions regarding the amount of your refund, visit the Tax Department’s Web site at www.tax.ny.gov.
- For questions about your prepaid debit card, you can review Frequently Asked Questions by selecting the FAQs link on this page, or use the Contact Us link for specific questions. You can also contact us by phone at 1.888.373.2881 (voice), or TTY 1.866.656.5913. Outside the U.S., call collect at 423.262.1650.
* A point of sale is a business or place where a product or service can be purchased